Civil Engineering is one of the Basic Branches of Engineering which is most versatile with a lot of diversity having major contribution towards Infrastructural development of the nation . Being the core department of Sarabhai Institute of science & Technology, the department offers four years (8 semester) B.Tech degree courses in civil Engineering.
The department aims to produce students with a strong technical knowledge base and in depth thinking skills, required for engineering analysis and design of civil structures. The students are trained to work as professional team members, with the ability to communicate effectively. Students are also exposed to emerging technologies to realize their goal as professionals that protect and sustain human health, wealth and the environment.
The department has a team of qualified and experienced faculty members who can deliver high quality education to the students to make them successful professional and to face the challenges of the emerging technology in the field of Civil Engineering.
The department has also well equipped laboratories with advanced equipments, machineries and professional softwares.
The mission of the Department of Civil Engineering is to provide quality education to prepare nationally competitive undergraduate students for a successful career in civil engineering; to provide advanced skills and knowledge in state-of-the-art research and design in sub-areas of civil engineering for graduate students; and to provide service to the university, engineering profession, and the public.
The Civil Engineering Department will excel in undergraduate and graduate instruction, in research in all sub-areas of civil engineering, and in service to the public consistent with the land-grant mission of the university. The Department will make significant contributions to the economic development of the state, region and nation.
The following program education objectives are developed with the goal of preparing students to enter a modern civil engineering workforce and to be successful in their career and profession. The educational objectives are consistent with the university, college and department mission as well. The objectives are:
- To ensure that graduates will have a mastery of fundamental knowledge, problem solving skills, engineering experimental abilities, and design capabilities necessary for entering civil engineering career.
- To produce graduates that have the knowledge and skills necessary for identifying and assessing design alternatives and the related social, economic, environmental, and public safety impacts.
- To produce graduates who have verbal and written communication skills necessary for successful professional practice.
- To prepare graduates to function effectively on teams.
- To prepare graduates to deal with ethical and professional issues, taking into account the broader societal implications of civil engineering.
- To prepare graduates for professional licensure, leadership roles and life-long learning.